Thursday 8 April 2010

iPads and e-books

As a tech journalist, I get my hands on all sorts of goodies. This week has been especially fortunate since I was one of the first people in the UK to have first-hand experience of the brand-new Apple iPad. Much cunningness and forward planning went into this, for which credit is due to my husband Mark. The result: the opportunity for an early comparison of the iPad against other e-book reading devices. I spent a long time ensuring I was able to number a Kindle, a Sony Reader, an iriver Story and a couple of other less well-known devices among the stash next to my desk.

Suffice to say the iPad is bigger, brighter and better, but also larger, more cumbersome and essentially a different device from the dedicated e-book readers. My conclusion, in fact, is that the Kindle and the Sony Reader, which I still rate as the best examples of their kind, are complementary devices to the iPad rather than likely to be edged out the marketplace because of its launch.

Research into the e-book reader market shows that electronic publishing is thriving. Publishers' Weekly reports that e-book reader sales jumped by 176 percent in 2009.

Links to my reviews of e-book readers, along with several others' can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment