Sunday 14 March 2010

A beginning, a middle and an end


It was neither the best of times nor the worst of times. In fact, it was simply about time I got round to doing what I said I'd be doing and get a blog underway.


I'm starting this endeavour in the knowledge that the vast majority of blogs aren't read. I'm also starting it with a certain amount of guilt at having set up a blog almost a year ago and done nothing except unpublish its three or four entries.

One useful thing I did do a year ago, however, was to have a much-needed rummage through my too large book collection and box up 100 or so no longer loved titles to rehome. For years I had not been able to bear the idea of throwing away books on which I'd spent good money and invaluable time reading, but an imminent move made me reappraise their worth. Two years since their arrival at my abode, they had either yet to be unpacked or were simply making work for a none-too-enthusiastic dust maid.


So I catalogued the books, gave each a star rating or brief comment and had a last thumb-through to check I really could bear to see their departure. After all, someone went to the trouble of writing each of those books in the first place. A acknowledgement seemed only fair.


Thanks to a few tweets, some novels found a new home; most were destined for a charity shop shelf, abandoned by me and probably yet to be stumbled upon by others. My hope is that this blog won't meet the same fate. Rather than becoming yet another dusty corner of the web and conveniently forgotten and out of sight of she who ought to be cherishing it, perhaps the idly curious will pick up it, turn it over, offer some sage words about its subject matter and linger for a while.


Let's see, shall we.



Rosie Hattersley

BooksInBed


March 20101

No comments:

Post a Comment